The American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities seeks applicants for the position of Editor-in-Chief of its planned peer-reviewed journal, Inclusion, for a term of four years that will begin on March 1, 2013.
About the Journal
Inclusion is a new, peer-reviewed journal that will provide a multidisciplinary forum for the discussion of interventions and strategies that promote the full inclusion of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities in society. This journal will be issued quarterly in an online format only, with an anticipated inaugural issue in June 2013.
The expected audience is administrators, clinicians, policymakers, and other professionals interested in intellectual disability and related developmental disabilities. The Journal will contain original articles that describe promising practices in services and supports, training, and professional development; case studies; and public policy considerations. We are especially interested in papers that present emerging evidence. Articles should be evidence-based, provide a reasoned analysis, and might suggest insights and innovations. Anecdotal narratives, persuasive essays, and other materials that lack an evidence base will not be accepted.
Qualifications and Responsibilities
Qualifications for the position are an established record of scholarship in the disabilities field, managerial skills necessary to oversee the editorial cycle, and the ability to attract and retain respected experts to the editorial advisory board.
The main responsibilities of the Editor of Inclusion consist of the following:
- overseeing the peer review of approximately 100 manuscripts per year;
- soliciting high-quality manuscripts from potential authors, deciding which manuscripts to publish, and assisting authors develop their manuscripts for publication;
- selecting a sufficient pool of expert reviewers to reach conclusions and make decisions on manuscripts in a timely fashion;
- identifying and appointing qualified members to an editorial advisory board; and
- providing a clear vision for the direction of the Journal.
Applicants must have clear employer or institutional support for this activity for the duration of their appointment, including release time and general office support. AAIDD does not pay for office space or release time, but will provide basic financial support for the Editor of Inclusion. Because the support offered by different institutions varies widely, interested individuals are encouraged to contact the appropriate office of their employer to ensure the feasibility of his or her application.
Interested individuals should prepare and submit an application packet via email. The application packet must include the following:
- Letter of Application that describes your qualifications for the role of Editor-in-Chief of Inclusion, such as past experience as an editor or member of an editorial team, history of scholarship in the field, and demonstrated capacity to manage deadlines and to attract and retain contributors to projects.
- Vision Statement that provides a clear description of your vision for Inclusion under your leadership. The statement should set forth your goals and plans for the content of the Journal and how you will operationalize your plan.
- Vita or Resume that accurately portrays your experience, indicates your current affiliations, and lists your current contact information.
- Evidence of Institutional Support, which may be a letter of support or other documentation from your employer that describes the level of support (release time and general office support) available should you be selected for the position.
Applications will be reviewed by the Search Committee immediately after the submission deadline. Interviews will be conducted by phone. The selected candidate will be expected to disclose any potential conflicts of interest prior to appointment and annually thereafter throughout his or her term of service.
Applications will be accepted via email only. Send application packets to Margaret Nygren, EdD, Executive Director, at email@example.com by December 7, 2012.